If you have been following our blog, you would have absorbed a whole lot of property and interior design information - ranging from budgeting, designer selection, to colour selection – which could have been overwhelming. Indeed, as with most colossal firsts, we humans have the tendency to over complicate, over calculate, over plan, and over scrutinize, taking away much of the inherent joys and thrill of that unprecedented venture. Furthermore, most of the exhilaration should have been blinded by the stress of taking on the biggest debt of our lives since (read: mortgage loan). It is almost apt that this article is all about the available “gahmen” discounts, giving us a chance to collect our breaths. Today, we will be providing bite-sized, easy to understand information regarding the housing grants that will ease our financial burden.
A. BTO/RESALE FLATS
Enhanced CPF Housing Grant (EHG)
Previously known as the Additional CPF Housing Grant (AHG) and Special CPF Housing Grant (SHG), HDB has revised the grant structure since 11 September 2019, coining it the EHG.
- Average income ceiling: $9,000 ($4,500 for single applicants or citizens married to foreigners)
- First-time buyer
- At least one applicant must have been continuously working for 12 months and must still be employed at the time of application
- Single applicants must be aged 35 and above
- Resale flats must have sufficient lease to cover the youngest buyer and spouse to 95 years old (pro-rated disbursement will be applied otherwise)
- Must be qualified for Family Grant (Read below) as a prerequisite
Couples or families can expect anywhere between $5,000 and $80,000, hitting the higher tier if their financial situation is deemed more needful (lower income households).
For example, a household with a $1,501 - $2,000 average monthly income will receive $75,000 from the EHG. The main purpose of the EHG is to help even the lower rungs afford their first home. There is no restriction on flat size or estate.
B. RESALE FLATS
Family Grant (HDB Resale Grant)
- Income ceiling: Couples - $14,000 // Applications with more family members: $21,000
- Flat must be 2-room or larger; for 5-room and above, $10,000 deducted
Although designed primarily for softening the higher cost of resale flat purchases, the Family Grant can also be stacked with the EHG. Grant amount is a cool $50,000 for 2-4 room resale flats. $40,000 for a 5-room or larger flat. If application consists of one PR along with a Singapore citizen, grant is lowered by $10,000 though reimbursed if the PR gains citizenship or the family has a child (Read Citizen Top-up)
- A Singapore Citizen + Singapore PR couple if Singapore PR applicant obtains Singapore citizenship status
- Took a family grant of <$10,000
- Aged 35 and above.
- First home/ haven't disposed of one in the past 30 years.
- Income ceiling: $7,000 Simply a Family Grant for singles, the only notable difference is that the grant amount and income ceiling are halved.
Grant amount is $25,000 for 2-4 room resale flats. $20,000 for a 5-room or bigger flat.
Proximity Housing Grant
- Resale flat buyers living within 4km of their parents or children
- No income ceiling
- Not necessary to be a first-time buyer/applicant
- Resale flat that is 2-room or larger with at least 20 years lease remaining
Formulated to construct a more resilient familial network and to support the typically strong Asian values of filial piety, this one-time grant disburses $20,000 when buying a resale flat to live close to their parents or child or $30,000 when buying a resale flat to live with their extended family.
Singles are not forgotten – half the grant amount is available.
C. Executive Condominium (EC)
- ECs bought directly from developer
- First-time buyers/applicants
- Income ceiling: $12,000 if couple consists of 2 Singaporeans // $11,000 if i